We The People...
of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Webster’s Dictionary defines Americanism as “Allegiance to the traditions, interests and ideals of the United States.” —
Americanism is one of the four pillars of the American Legion and is the heart of everything we represent and defend. It is our solemn duty to ensure the perpetuation of 100% Americanism, not only within the American Legion but to instill and foster it in every American.
Americanism is love of America; loyalty to her institutions as the best yet devised by man to secure life, liberty, individual dignity, and happiness; and the willingness to defend our country, our Flag and our Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.
It is a vital, active, living force. Americanism means peace, strength, the will and the courage to live as free men in a free land. It means a friendly hand to people everywhere who respect our institutions and our thinking. It is not a word; it is a cause, a way of life – a challenge and a hope in this world.
Americanism is an ideal of loyal patriotism, righteous freedom, fearless courage, honest integrity, abiding faith in the commanding destiny of the United States, and a fathomless love for the principles that led our forefathers to found this country.
It is complete and unqualified loyalty to the ideals of government as set forth in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States. It is freedom without license, religion without bigotry, charity without bias, and a desire to secure the blessings of liberty for our nation and for our posterity.
The American Legion and Americanism
The American Legion is always committed to forward Americanism and defend it whenever threatened; such as…
- Defense of the U.S. Constitution
- Advancing the support of, and benefits for our Veterans
- Protection of Monuments and Memorials to Veterans
- Protection of the U.S. Flag from desecration and placement in all schools
- Promoting legislation to designate English as the official language of the United States Government
- Voter registration and participation in all elections – “Get Out The Vote”
- Expand the veneration of Patriotic Holidays
- Restoration of Prayer in Public Schools
- Defense of the Star Spangled Banner as our National Anthem
- Promoting the Pledge of Allegiance in all Public Schools
- Protection of America’s values, history and heritage